- Frank Zappa, his groupies and me. She was a strait-laced English typist. He a sexually incontinent... gu.com/p/32bep/tw via @guardian 14 hours ago
- Thank you @JulianDarius for giving me +K about Books! klout.com/user/AZIOMEDIA… 19 hours ago
- Original Oil Painting - Nude Portrait of Sherry - 1977 by Frank Goddard, NY tinyurl.com/b8t4jl3 #art http://t.co/7eJcO0RcIK 20 hours ago
- For Real, Ex-Groupon CEO Andrew Mason Is Releasing An Album Of Motivational Music techcrunch.com/2013/05/16/and… via @techcrunch 1 day ago
- Vintage BAMBI Deer FAWN Ceramic Bookends / Book Ends - Figures tinyurl.com/bp4xn6q #bambi #deer http://t.co/4L3M3HYnXq 6 days ago
Tags45 rpm advertising art autographs aziomedia Azio Media book collecting books book store bookstore collectibles cover art dj Ephemera *** film Film Collectibles *** film posters hollywood illustration lobby cards movie memorabilia movie posters movies music music store north carolina Photography *** Pulp Fiction * rare books reading records record store rock and roll shallotte south brunswick sunset beach turntable used books used bookstore used magazines vintage magazines vintage paperbacks Vinyl vinyl record Vinyl Records **
Bookmark This Site
- Artists * Authors ** Autographed / Signed Books & Music Azio Press * Culture * Carolinas ** Ephemera *** Film Collectibles *** Historical Investigations *** News People Reading * Writing ** Photography *** Pulp Fiction * Rare & Unusual Books The Shop * Uncategorized Vinyl Records ** Weird & Unusual Ads
John Sackett on “The Voice-O-Gram”… filmcamera999 on Large Antique Original D.W. Wa… R.j.Renih on Pearl Harbor Aftermath R.j.Renih on Pearl Harbor Aftermath John F.Beatty on Johnson & Smith Novelty…
Tag Archives: Tobacco
This is an original, antique “BLACK MARIA – A GOOD BLACK Chewing Tobacco” advertising sign with African American Logo for use in a General Store – Circa: 1925. Approx. Size: 18″ x 12 inches An especially scarce sign advertising sign with the BLACK MARIA logo on heavy paper in Good Condition with red, black and gold colors.
Original J. P. Alley’s Hambone Advertising Cigar Sign with African American Pilot – Lindberg’s 1927 solo flight across the Atlantic ocean
Vintage Original J. P. Alley’s Hambone Advertising Cigar Sign Fan Pull
TThe image on the cigar box label is a satire on Lindberg’s 1927 solo flight across the Atlantic ocean (note USA on the left and the Eiffel Tower on the right side of picture).
Image of an African-American pilot flying a small yellow plane. The plane has the words “Going Over” painted on the side. The advertising indicates that the product is of the finest quality and is above all five cent cigars. An identical image is printed on the back of the card. The size is 7 1/8″ across and the advertising is printed on heavy-weight card stock with bright colors and a shiny gilt details.
More than one fantasy involves around HAMBONE cigars. Hambone was the nickname of Tom Hunley, a folk-wisdom spouting ex-slave interviewed late in his life by a young Memphis editorial cartoonist James Pinckney “J.P.” Alley who was enthralled by Hunley’s humorously philosophical tone. Alley turned the old man’s pithy observations on life into a syndicated illustrated newspaper column called “Hambone’s Meditations” which debuted in 1916 and was soon followed by two books. When J.P. died in 1934, his son Calvin took over his work, and the Hambone character continued in papers until 1968.
Starting in the late 1920’s, two different cigar companies (over time, not at once) were licensed to market cheap cigars under the character’s name and Alley’s illustration. The image on the cigar box label is a satire on Lindberg’s 1927 solo flight across the Atlantic ocean.